Naturcharc in the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables
The United Nations (UN) General Assembly commemorates the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables (IYFV) throughout 2021. The principles and values that inspire the daily activity of the Naturcharc family are perfectly adapted to what the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) promotes with this celebration.
FAO emphasizes the nutritional and health benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables, especially if they are organic foods from organic farming such as those produced in protected environments like greenhouses and outdoors on Naturcharc’s open air farms.
The sustainability of the entire process is another important principle – something in which Naturcharc has been strongly committed. Through the integral production of compost with which all our farms are nourished, as well as other measures to constantly save water, Naturcharc protects a very precious asset in the Almería province.
The Director General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, QU Dongyu, launched the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables with a call to improve the production of healthy and sustainable food through innovation and technology and reducing food loss and waste.
The International Year of Fruits and Vegetables therefore offers a unique opportunity to raise awareness about the importance of fruits and vegetables for human nutrition, food security and health, and for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations. In addition, the annuity is developed within the United Nations Decade of Family Farming (2019-2028). At Naturcharc, three generations of the same family keep the organic production of seasonal organic fruits and vegetables alive.
The commemoration of FAO has set a series of transversal objectives that coincide with the philosophy of the Naturcharc family.
- Raise awareness about the health and nutrition benefits of fruit and vegetable consumption and orient policies towards these benefits. All Naturcharc products come from organic farming and comply with the certificates of the main organizations in the sector.
- Promote healthy, balanced and diversified diets and lifestyles through the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce loss and waste in food systems of fruits and vegetables. At Naturcharc, this principle is very present throughout the process with the utmost respect for the product to promote its optimal conservation from when it leaves the farm to when it reaches the consumers in a dozen European countries.
- Circulate the best practices on:
- Promoting the sustainable consumption and production of fruits and vegetables in support of sustainable food systems. Responsible use of water is one of the best examples. At Naturcharc we collect and recycle both rainwater and surplus drainage from the soil of our farms so that every drop of water that can be recycled is recycled. In addition, we use drip irrigation to optimize consumption.
- Greater sustainability in storage, transportation, trade, processing, transformation, retail, waste reduction and recycling, as well as in the interactions between these processes. Strengthening the capacity of all countries to adopt innovative approaches and technologies in the fight against the loss and waste of fruits and vegetables. Naturcharc’s experience in fields such as saving water resources or taking advantage of plant remains and by-products to generate all the compost that nourishes our fields is one of the best examples of this objective.
- Strengthening the capacity of all countries to adopt innovative approaches and technologies in the fight against the loss and waste of fruits and vegetables. Naturcharc’s experience in fields such as saving water resources or taking advantage of plant remains and by-products to generate all the compost that nourishes our fields is one of the best examples of this objective.